Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Time for a bit of square!



Well we've made some great progress in the last few days. I have to admit though I'm very excited about living in a round structure it is quite nice to do a little traditional (western style) framing. Things progress quickly and there a results at the end of the day. Not to say there wasn't a bit of head scratching at various times during the initial rounds of framing, but it is something I know a bit more about.

We got started on labor day, and by the end of the day we had the main walls of the mudroom up, a couple of windows as well as the door framed in. Today was a bit more tedious figuring out how to frame up to the yurt itself, and I would be remiss not to mention all the additional time spent last evening and this morning figuring out rafter lengths and other related dimensions. I guess the trig is a little rusty, but I got it all figured out, and I cut one test rafter this afternoon which fit beautifully. So tomorrow it's on to the rafters and which should go quite well until we get to the portion of the framed roof that will actually go over part of the yurt room to form the transition between the two. I'm anticipating quite a bit of head scratching during that part, not to mention additional trips to the lumber yard!

Leslie started her nursing program today. It sounds as though it will be a good fit, and at least the first year she does not have to travel very far to get to school most of the time. It certainly will take some time to get into new patterns, but so far so good.

Abrahm is busy driving anything he can find around, and making attempts to get into any actual vehicle he can so that he can have a go a driving the real thing. He's as busy as ever, and there is constant chatter even if there are not really any words yet. I'm sure they'll come soon enough.

Well I'd better get to bed so I can get to work early tomorrow on those rafters! Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment