Saturday, October 13, 2007

Of plumbers and tractors




Well it's been quite some time since the last post, and things have been rolling along relatively smoothly here. Much of the drywall is now down, though there have been many challenges, and I'm afraid there will be many more where ceilings are concerned. Rooms that are not square on three sides, and curved on the fourth are quite difficult I must say. Our room is finished though, and I have started on the bathroom. Saving Abrahm's room for last as it presents the additional challenge of have insulation in the ceiling which makes finding the centers of floor joists for measurement that much more difficult. Oh well, one step at a time. None of this is helped at the moment by the fact that I managed to give myself a very sore neck today trying to hang a large piece of Sheetrock on the ceiling by myself. Dumb! Hopefully I'll be back at it tomorrow, with some help.
Some other excitement of this week was the purchase of a tractor! We've been faithfully watching Uncle Henry's, which for those of you not from Maine, is a buy sell, swap publication put out weekly with just about anything one could ever want in it. I spotted a good looking Massey Ferguson 65 Diesel, and went to look at it last Saturday. It turned out to be a nice machine, though a bit faded and tired looking. It should be great tractor for us as it is large enough to do most jobs that we would like including plowing. It also has an oversize bucket which is always a bonus. I brought it home yesterday, and with it a shop manual and an operators manual in which Abrahm has fallen in love. It was of course pouring rain the whole day which made the loading and unloading of the tractor quite pleasant, and no sooner had I gotten it off our trailer than I got it stuck in a big mud hole. Luckily Leslie was there to pull me out with the truck.
The biggest excitement of the week for all of us except Abrahm was the arrival of the plumbers on Monday. They took about two days to finish the rough in plumbing and install the bath/shower combo. That means as soon as the well driller comes back to finish the pressure tank installation we will be able to close all of the walls and finish mudding the joints. Then it's on to floor sanding and finishing and then kitchen installation. We're getting closer!
Well I think I'll call it a night and go nurse my sore neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment